Tuesday, October 12, 2010

D is for Dinosaurs

We made dinosaurs, out of letter D's.  This is for our Alphabet book.  The idea came from, here.
These are suncatchers. I honestly don't remember where I saw this, but I did get the idea from the web.  Google the image that you would like to use and trace it out on contact paper. Cut out the shape, peel off the protective paper and let the kids adhere tissue paper to the design.  We used pre-cut tissue paper from Lakeshore Learning. You could cut out crepe paper or tissue paper, but that would be a heck of a job. Punch a hole in the top and use string to make your hanger.  

This was a lot more involved that I thought it was going to be.  I won't do this again next year.  In a small group of maybe 4 of 5 kids it would be great.  We even did it as a center, but after 13 kids had done it, it was super labor intensive.  You have to go back and trim the excess tissue paper off and some of the kids, didn't understand the concept of filling in all the blanks with tissue paper.

But if you want to do this at  home with your own kiddo's, it's super cute.  I am thinking about having mine make Jack-o-lanterns.  Super cute!

No comments: