Friday, November 14, 2008

Homemade Butter-Didn't Get to Try It Though-read to find out why.

I remember making this in elementary school and had so much fun doing it. I thought my kids would think this is really cool. I don't want Thanksgiving to get lost in the Christmas shuffle. At church a couple of weeks ago the lesson was about Thanksgiving and turning it back into what it use to be. I found the recipe here and had to try it out.

This got me to thinking about what I do to make Thanksgiving a good time for my kids to learn about gratitude. It is really hard for some kids to grasp this concept. I want my kids to SMELL thanksgiving, to FEEL thanksgiving, to SEE thanksgiving, and to TASTE thanksgiving, and HEAR thanksgiving. The smells of the great food cooking. The feel of the nippy air and some times some snow, the touch of the crunchy leaves under your feet as you walk to familys doorsteps. To be able to see all of the many blessings that we have. We really have so much more than we think we do. I want my kids to be aware of all that. To taste the wonderful food that has been prepared, the taste of hot apple cider to warm you up after playing football outside. And to hear the laughter, talking, the blessing of the food that is always so wonderful.
So many wonderful memories of Thanksgiving are held close to my heart. And I want my kids to know of the Pilgrims and the gratitude I have for them. So what better way to teach about pilgrims than Homemade Butter.....

IT DIDN'T GO TO WELL!!!!!!!! WARNING!!!! THE JAR COULD BREAK IF DROPPED.
In Logans hands.........right before.........

So much for trying to be a good mom! So glad I wasn't a pilgrim, I definatley need a store to buy my butter. :) Bay was heart broken, maybe we will try it again some day.

4 comments:

Letti said...

Darn, Its the thought that counts right? That is what would happen at my house if I tried it with my kids. Oh well just think it at least it wasn't near your carpet.

Lillian J. Banks said...

I loved doing that in 4th grade!! I saw someone use smaller jars and give each of their kids one and that was their butter for dinner. I thought I would try it- but after seeing shattered glass- I may rethink it. I love your post about the senses and Thanksgiving. I LOved all that growing up too. I had to take my kids to the neighbors house to crunch on leaves because we don't have any trees big enough yet to crunch. :)

Kritta22 said...

I couldn't get the link to work. But we used to just buy the pint size. Open it and pour a little out. Then my mom would duct tape the top and we'd go to town. When we got older, we would all do it while watching football. Then Mom would put salt in it and call it good. It's seriously the best butter!

Dover Fam said...

Sorry about the link. I have fixed it. Thanks for the great idea using the carton and duct tape. I will have to try that some day. :)